While running outdoors can give you a few minutes of sunshine and fresh air, I believe a WalkingPad treadmill is equally conducive to a runner's high and allows thoughts to flow freely and easily. Some dread treadmills and think that the noisy conveyor belt spells doom. But here are some exciting ways to make your treadmill routine more fun and stylish.
- Do an interval workout.
Interval training is a great way to help build strength and speed and burn calories. Simply switch up your speed and incline, and increase your pace to a sprint for 30 seconds, followed by lowering your rate to an easy jog for one minute. Repeat these intervals a total of five times. You can also try alternating between running on the treadmill and doing quick bursts of weight lifting.
- Practice Mindful Meditation
I know this may sound strange but meditating while working out is a new kind of high! In a comfortable and relaxing way, you get to be in tune with your body and de-stress. For this, begin by breathing while paying attention to how your body feels. Feel your chest rise and fall while listening to the sounds of you inhaling and exhaling. Match your breathing with your footsteps, and remember to let the flow happen naturally without forcing.
- Get your TV binge on!
Well, we're all humans, and boredom is one of the most critical factors that can slow any workout down. Between work, family, and social obligations, you might find it hard to get in a workout, much less watch an hour of Netflix. It is time you used your treadmill time to your advantage. I find action movies are best as they are usually upbeat and fast-paced. Comedies are also useful because they are generally light and airy. Get a TV, a reliable internet connection, and headphones – it's a win-win-win!
- App up your workout.
Apps are a lot of fun, especially the inexpensive ones that you can download to make your workout more fun! Be it training for a marathon or just for leisure, here are some apps that you should include in your workout sessions.
Zombies, Run! is where you can choose your mission for the day, and when zombies are after you, you'll have to speed up!
Nike Plus: This also acts as a GPS and records aspects of your run, like pace, distance, and calories burned. It can even be set for an indoor treadmill mode and allows you to link it to social media and get your friends to cheer you on!
Finally, if you're in the mood for some motivation, Aaptiv, the audio coaching app, is a must-try. You'll have access to tons of different running workouts guided by coaches who'll get you to the finish line.
- Run Virtually.
As you must have figured out, I love running on a good treadmill, but lately, I have ventured into experiencing different settings to make my workouts fun! Have you thought about running virtually worldwide, from tropical rain forests in Brazil to desert trails in Sahara?
I stumbled upon some beautiful apps like RunSocial and BitGym, which allows me to run live with people worldwide on different courses at any time. You can also stream virtual runs on YouTube, and here are my top 2 favorites:
Wailea Beach, Hawaii:
and Run Paris:
If you worry about being bored, you may turn on your ipod and listen to your favorite songs. Here is a workout playlist I listen to often. I'd like to share with you:
These 7 best songs must be added to your workout playlist
If you have a passion for music, think of your workouts as a chance to listen to your favorite albums. You can download a fun workout playlist and let the music pump you up for your workout. You can also create your own playlist using these mood pumping songs for a quick and motivating session.
- Despacito by Luis Fonsi & Justin Bieber
- Heathens by Twenty One Pilots
- Eye of the Tiger by Survivor
- Hand Clap by Fitz and The Tantrums
- Thunderstruck by AC/DC
- Bullet Proof by La Roux
- Don't Stop the Party by Pitbull.
It is time to take the focus off your pumping legs and beating heart and pay closer attention to the music flooding your ears. It's hard to get lost running on a treadmill unless you're getting lost in the music. Right?!
Music is not the only option for workout, podcast is also possible.
Here we recommend 10 Best Podcasts to Listen to While Working Out
Sometimes when my productive-self curses me for listening to one song over and over again, I zone out by listening to interesting podcasts. While it may not be a thing for many of you, I recommend giving it a try once. There are some great podcasts related to your mood while walking and running on the treadmill. Here are my 10 best recommendations.
- Hosted by Tina Muir, The Running For RealPodcast has a strong focus on inspirational stories and overcoming setbacks, that features refreshingly honest conversations about the good, the bad, and the ugly side of running.
- Marathon Talk has interviews, discussions, and coaching advice. Hosted by Martin Yelling and Tom Williams, interviews around their lives and, of course, running makes for great listening.
- Running on Omis your go-to if you need peacefulness, reflection, and restoration during your run.
- If you've ever wanted to know about Chaos theory, Champagne,LSD, El Nino, or True Crime, then Josh and Chuck from Stuff you should know will have your curiosity satiated.
- TED Talks dailyis my other go-to for thought-provoking ideas on every subject imaginable. Right from artificial intelligence to zoology and everything in between, this podcast has it all.
- Ask me Anotheris packed with trivia, comedy, and celebrity guests and is an amusement park for my brain. Host Ophira Eisenberg and musician Jonathan Coulton take brilliant contestants on a roller coaster that'll make you laugh and scream and even out of answers.
- Conan O'Brien Needs A Friendis where Conan talks to celebrities and figures if they really are homies or just celebrity connections. Fun!
- In The Art of Charm, get ready to dig into the science of human behavior and reap the rewards of flexing your muscles and habits simultaneously.
- Queue up Dissect is a music podcast from Spotify Studios that dissects one song per episode, lyric by lyric, bar by bar, in a slow yet punchy way that will elevate your appreciation of music. You gotta 'tune' into this!
- The School of Greatness hosted by Lewis Howes is not just about physical performance but also about making gains in life. This one will help you realize your own personal greatness.
Of course, the podcasts doesn't have to be just about running. You could delve into a fantasy realm in a fiction audiobook, too! So, what is your unique that you can bring to your treadmill workouts? My Advice? Keep it simple - whatever keeps you motivated to exercise is perfect. You do you!